Final Project Proposal.. the inside scoop

With final projects looming our first due date arrived and we needed to write our proposals and I am here to give you the inside scoop of what my project will (hopefully) be about. Having a degree in history makes me think about stories all the time, I have always loved listening to others talk and hearing their stories. Sometimes you even wish that you could have been there too and seen what they had seen, luckily we have historical sites and monuments that allow us to understand and experience peoples stories. But, not all have the funds, the interest, or the location to be preserved and taken care of. This is where historical preservation comes in, the action of taking care of buildings, monuments, and sites aka another way to prolong peoples stories. Then it came down to picking a location, and I decided to pick Mount Zion Cemetery in North West, Washington D.C., I picked this location because I have always loved studying African American history, especially after taking a West African Religions class my spring semester senior year. Learning all about how deeply woven religion is into slave and early free African Americans history and understating how influential religion can be in history is why I picked this location. I am hoping to create a website that paints a complete picture of the cemetery, what Washington, D.C was like for an African American in the 19th century, and information on Mount Zion Church and its greater impact. I will be using online research databases, the library, and hopefully making a site visit. 
Library's are great resources because not only can you visit your local library and have access to their book collection but many libraries around the country post their collections or at least as much as they can  on their websites. This allows people from all over to access the libraries information and helps people like me do my research. Also, librarians are your best friend, they know a lot more about how the library is organized and can be a big help when finding information. 


Comments

Popular Posts